Wednesday 13 August 2008

What sex are your friends - THE RESULTS

Thankyou to everyone who answered my survey about what sex your friends are. The results are a bit mixed, but lets see what we can learn:

First up, absolutely no-one thought that there were more male than female avies, and only a small number of people thought it was 50-50. So we're all agreed that female avies are the majority.

Looking just at the female respondents, a pattern emerges which I thought I might see: women have mostly female friends in real life, but mostly male friends in SL. In fact, none of the women who said their RL friends were "more female than male" gave the same answer in SL (they split, half saying "more male than female" and half saying "about 50-50".

The same pattern comes through with the guys (albeit with fewer respondents - big surprise). We generally have more male friends in real life (although there was some spread, and one guy reported that he had almost exclusively female friends), but mostly female friends in SL.

Interestingly, the guy who had almost exclusively female friends IRL was the one guy who who had more male friends than female in SL.

Conclusion:
The gender makeup of your friends in SL tends to be inverted from the gender makeup of your friends in RL.

Addendum: You can play with the survey results yourself at HeySurvey.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gaaah I am always the odd one out. I have more female than male friends in both worlds! I think I have only about 6 guys on my SL friends list... one of whom is my landlord, so maybe he doesn't really count :P