Thursday 3 July 2008

Interesting versus profitable

Something I keep wanting to bang on about in SL is the difference between interesting and profitable.

Some people make their real-life living from SL, and I say well done to them, but I make my real-life living in real life. So what I do in SL, I do for entertainment.

A while ago I upset a chap because I wouldn't take his commission to build something for him. He was offering a very fair sum of money, but the problem was, what he wanted was already covered by a dozen competing products. Imagine it was something like a networked rent box system. It wasn't that exact thing, but you get the idea - there's several very good, well-tested ones out there.

I knew that without working for weeks, nothing I came up with could be better than the existing solutions. And anyway, booooring!

So I turned him down, and he thought I was being snotty with him or something. I don't know exactly, the instant he used a double interrobang ("?!?!") at the end of a sentence I TP'ed out.

So what is interesting? Well, it's hard to predict, but often it comes up because of something someone has said. Her Royal Highness Lady Dawson of Dawson Manor mentioned that she couldn't find any decent stone benches for her garden [1]. I looked on SLX too and saw the selection of bent prim efforts available. So I showed her a picture of a RL Haddonstone bench,

and said, "you want something like that". And she agreed. And I stroked my beard (for I have a beard, you see) and began to plot. I could see the top and sides as one prim each, and although my sculpting skills were/are limited in the extreme, I enlisted a little help, and the end result is the Dawson Bench, as featured in my last post.

It was fun because it was an unusual challenge, I have now made the best stone bench in SL [2], and it improved my sculpting skills.

I am liable to launch into full production mode when someone gives me an interesting idea. I may or may not sell the result. I may or may not give it away for free. The main thing is that the actual construction needs to be an unusual challenge.

[1]: In the interests of full disclosure, I should point out that if Lady asked me to make her a Christmas tree decoration out of my own small intestine, I'd do it, and probably smile about it too.

[2]: Go on, prove me wrong.

1 comment:

C said...

Well here is an idea, I've always wanted some Adirondak (or Muskoka) chairs and I've seen some lovely ones in SL, but they are usually too many prims for someone like me who is not only a penny but a prim pincher.

Knowing absolutely nothing about building, or sculpting, do you think it could be done?